The Durkan D*SCOVER design competition has been established to exhibit the talent of designers in the hospitality design field and contribute toward the education of future designers, in partnership with NEWH.
Both industry professionals and students are encouraged to participate, and be d*scovered! Durkan has partnered with NEWH to bring a unique member only opportunity. In lieu of entry fees, you simply must be a member of NEWH.
Durkan is a leading manufacturer of printed carpet for the hospitality industry. Specializing in Printed carpets, CYP (computer yarn placement), and Tufted styles for guestrooms, Durkan offers solutions to any design need. As design leaders, Durkan offers the most selection of designs or can make your vision a reality with its custom expertise.
NEWH, The Network of the Hospitality Industry, is the premier networking resource for the hospitality industry, providing scholarships, education, leadership development, recognition of excellence, and business development opportunities. Members of NEWH, Inc. are professionals actively engaged in development, management/ operations, architecture, communications, design, distribution, education, manufacturing, production, purchasing, and sales of the Hospitality, Foodservice, Senior Living and related industries. For more information go to www.newh.org.
- Membership in NEWH is required
- Industry Professionals and Student Members are eligible*
* Professional carpet designers such as freelance designers commissioned by a carpet manufacturer or a staff designer for a carpet manufacturer are not eligible.
- Ballroom & Pre-function areas are to be designed as separate components, each area divided by transition stripes in the doorways (Transition Strips to be 4" solid carpet).
- Ballroom & Pre-function designs are to be different but designed to co-ordinate.
- Number of colors not to exceed 12 in total.
- Please think or each area as your blank canvas, designs confined only by the walls, the most innovative approach would be to avoid using surface patterns with an obvious repeat, with the exception of textural elements used to add detail and layering. We'd like to see how the entire floor space could become one large design.
Submit final patterns with photos or visuals, concept boards, sketches, write up, or other inspiration for print carpets. Completed package to be sent to Durkan for judging.
Grand Prize Student:
$2,000 NEWH scholarship from Durkan. Student winner will also win a trip to Las Vegas for the HD Expo show to receive award. Winning student designs will be on display at the Durkan booth. Durkan will promote and catalog winning designs.
Grand Prize Professional:
The top winner will receive a cash prize of $2,000, and a trip to Las Vegas for the HD Expo courtesy of Durkan carpet, where winning designs will be on display at the Durkan booth. Durkan will also promote and catalog.
Second Place - $500
Third Place - $300
Download the Call for Entries Form
See "Contest Rules" for specifications and requirements of your design submittal.