The Durkan D*SCOVER design competition has been established to exhibit the talent of designers in the hospitality design field and contribute toward the education of future designers, in partnership with NEWH.
Students are encouraged to participate and be d*scovered! Durkan has partnered with NEWH to bring a unique member only opportunity. In lieu of entry fees, you simply must be a student member of NEWH.
Durkan is the leading US manufacturer of custom designed carpet to the hospitality industry. Specializing in durable Public Space, Corridor and guest room carpet, Durkan offers solutions to any custom design need. As design leaders, we offer the largest selection of archived patterns in the USA or we can make your custom design vision a reality.
NEWH, The Network of the Hospitality Industry, is the premier networking resource for the hospitality industry, providing scholarships, education, leadership development, recognition of excellence, and business development opportunities. Members of NEWH, Inc. are professionals actively engaged in development, management/ operations, architecture, communications, design, distribution, education, manufacturing, production, purchasing, and sales of the Hospitality, Foodservice, Senior Living and related industries. For more information go to www.newh.org.
- Student membership in NEWH is required
- Ballroom & Pre-function areas are to be designed as separate components, each area divided by transition stripes in the doorways (Transition Strips to be 4" solid carpet).
- Ballroom & Pre-function designs are to be different but designed to coordinate.
- Number of colors not to exceed 12 in total.
- Please think or each area as your blank canvas, designs confined only by the walls, the most innovative approach would be to avoid using surface patterns with an obvious repeat, with the exception of textural elements used to add detail and layering. We'd like to see how the entire floor space could become one large design.
Submit final patterns with photos or visuals, concept boards, sketches, write up, or other inspiration for PDI (Precision Dye Injected) carpets. Completed package to be sent to Durkan for judging.
$2,500 NEWH scholarship from Durkan and a trip to Las Vegas for the HD Expo show to receive award. Winning student designs will be on display at the Durkan booth. Durkan will promote and catalog winning designs.
$1000 and a trip to Las Vegas for the HD Expo show to receive award.
Third Place - $500
Fourth Place - $300
Firth Place - $200
Download the Call for Entries Form
See "Contest Rules" for specifications and requirements of your design submittal.